Veteran Flight Benefits

Group 3 Aviation helicopter flight training programs have been approved by the Department of Veterans Affairs (DVA) to train veterans, service members and reservists under provisions of Title 38, U. S. Code and approved by the Federal Aviation Administration under FAR Part 141.

An eligible student may receive education benefits from the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) for approved flight training; however, the amount of benefit payable is based on the type of education benefit program the student is qualified to receive. There are several benefit types currently paid by VA:

  • Post-9/11 GI Bill (Chapter 33)
  • Montgomery GI Bill (MGIB, or Chapter 30)
  • Montgomery GI Bill-Selected Reserve (MGIB-SR, or Chapter 1606)
  • Reserve Educational Assistance Program (REAP, or Chapter 1607)

Detailed descriptions & eligibility requirements for each benefit program administered by VA are online at

Group 3 Aviation’s current VA Approved Helicopter Flight Training Courses

  • Commercial Helicopter Pilot
  • Instrument Rating Helicopter
  • Flight Instructor Helicopter
  • Flight Instructor Instruments Helicopter


VA Frequently Asked Questions

What kind of educational benefits am I eligible for?

There are several different Chapters of Educational Benefits available for Veterans and each has specific criteria. Benefits may be available for those who have served or are presently serving on active duty; those serving in the National Guard or Reserves; and those dependents of 100% disabled, or deceased

What type of training does the Post-9/11 GI Bill cover?

The Post-9/11 GI Bill may be used for the following types of training:

  • Institutions of Higher Learning (degree granting institutions)
  • Non-college degree schools (vocational & technical training)
  • Apprenticeship/on-the-job training programs
  • Licensing & Certification training
  • National testing programs
  • Flight training programs
  • Correspondence training
  • Tutorial assistance
  • Can I receive benefits for Flight Training?

Yes, you may receive benefits for commercial flight training under all benefit programs except for the Survivors’ and Dependents’ Educational Assistance program (Chapter 35) and VRAP.

This benefit is available for types of Flight Training such as:

  • Rotary wing qualification
  • B747-400 Qualification
  • Dual Qualification
  • Flight engineer

In order to qualify, you must have a private pilot’s license and a valid medical certification before beginning training. Payments are issued after the training is completed and the school submits your enrollment information to us.
Flight training under Montgomery GI Bill or the Reserve Educational Assistance Program (REAP)
If you are training under the Montgomery GI Bill or REAP we will reimburse you for 60% of the approved charges.

Flight Training Under the Post-9/11 GI Bill

Payments for flight training vary based on which type of flight training course and what kind of school you are enrolled in:

If you are enrolled in a degree program that consists of flight training at a public Institution of Higher Learning you can be reimbursed up to the public school in-state cost of the training, and receive a monthly housing allowance and the books and supplies stipend.

If you are enrolled in a degree program that consists of flight training at a private Institution of Higher Learning you can be reimbursed up to the full cost of the training or the national maximum (currently $19,198.31) per academic year, whichever is less. You may also receive a monthly housing allowance and the books and supplies stipend. The Yellow Ribbon Program may apply for those enrolled in degree programs. Click here to learn more and see if your school participates.

If you are enrolled in a vocational flight training program you can be reimbursed the lesser of (1) the full cost of training or (2) the annual limit (currently $10,970.46) in effect the day you began training in your flight course. You will not receive a housing allowance or the books and supplies stipend. The maximum amount available for reimbursement depends on the academic year you begin training.

For example, if you enroll in a dual-engine certification course that costs $15,000 on November 1, 2013. You can receive a maximum of $10,970.46 for that course and any other flight training (programs leading to your dual-engine certification, or other certification) that begin before August 1, 2014. Additional flight training courses that begin on or after August 1, 2014 will be subject to a new annual limit. Remember, these amounts could be further limited by your eligibility percentage.

How long do I have to use my benefits?

Once you have separated from the service, you have 10 years to use all of your benefits. Although separating from service “starts the clock” on your 10-year time limit, you should know that if you rejoin active-duty service for more than 90 days, during the 10- year period, your 10- year clock is reset. In other words, you get 10 years from your last discharge.
You can go to the following Web site for more information on whether you may qualify for any of these Educational Benefits:

Can I stop and start using the MGIB at will?
YES! Unfortunately, many people believe that once you apply for benefits, you have to remain enrolled in school to get the full benefit. Thankfully that’s not true. You can use the MGIB for any period of time, take time off, and re-apply to use it again at a later date.

What does a “month” of benefits mean?

For Veterans:  Every time you use the current Fiscal Year (FY) maximum “payment rate” ($1,075) of MGIB benefits you use a month.

Here is what the VA says:
“If you are a veteran and you receive $4,300, and your full-time MGIB rate is $1,075, divide $4,300 by $1,075. Your entitlement charge is four months.”

However for active duty:
If you are on active duty and you go to school full-time for four months, but your tuition is only $1,000, you will still be charged for four months of your GI Bill 36 month entitlement.

Note: It only “pays” to use your GI Bill on active duty if your tuition costs are high or you use it as Top-up.

How do I apply for the GI Bill?

You can apply by filling out VA Form 22-1990, Application for Education Benefits. The fastest way to get approved with the VA is to start your paperwork on line at:
If you fill out the VA Form 22-1990 on-line, there are still some items that need to be covered by the VA rep at Group 3 Aviation. You will still need to complete enrollment forms for the specific school of attendance. You may request copies of forms be sent to you by contacting the VA Certifying Official with Group 3 Aviation:
Claudia Herrera, VA Certifying Official    Tel 818-994-9376

How much does VA pay?

The monthly benefit paid to you is based on the type of training you take, length of your service, your category, and if DOD put extra money in your MGIB Fund (called “kickers”). You usually have 10 years to use your MGIB benefits, but the time limit can be less in some cases, and longer under certain circumstances.
For information on current rates for Active or Reserve benefits under GI Bill please click on:

Will my educational benefits pay for my tuition and books?

All of your educational benefits will come directly to you by mail or be deposited into your checking account at your request. It is your responsibility to pay for your flight training, fees, and books.

Can I receive an advance payment?

Unfortunately students pursuing Flight Training are not eligible for Advance Payment of their GI Bill at any flight training facility.

When will I receive my payments?

Veterans Educational Benefits normally take about 6-8 weeks after we have sent in your enrollment. Your paperwork is electronically sent to Muskogee, Oklahoma after we have verified your enrollment. You will be paid at the end of each month that you are enrolled in courses.

For example, you will receive your check for February in the beginning of March. Remember to notify Group 3’s VA official as soon as you register for the next set of courses, so you can have continuous enrollment and your checks will not be late.

If you have direct deposit, the payment usually takes about 3 working days before it reaches your bank, if you receive a paper check it will take up to 2 weeks to receive your check via domestic mail, longer for overseas.

VA Flight: (60/40 program) For Commercial Pilot Courses: If you are flying at a VA approved flight school AND you have already obtained your Private Pilot’s certificate, you may be eligible for this Flight program. It pays 60% of your charges for the Commercial Pilot courses, including solo hours as well as Instrument and Flight Instructor Ratings.

Is the GI Bill considered financial aid?

Not in the traditional sense. In most cases, the school’s financial aid department does not consider the MGIB financial aid because it is normally paid directly to you, not to the school. Most schools will require you sign a promissory note or apply for student loans to pay them upfront.
This also means that you are eligible for student loans, scholarships, and Pell Grants along with the GI Bill. However, not many airplane/helicopter flight schools have the accreditation available to accept Pell Grants or other forms of financial aid. Also important to note that your GI Bill income will reduce the amount of student financial aid you are eligible to receive.
For help in locating scholarships, see the Scholarship Finder

Will I have to pay taxes on my MGIB benefits?

NO! Your MGIB benefits are NOT taxable!

General Information

General information about Active Duty & Reserve GI Bill programs including information on eligibility, how to apply, programs covered by the GI Bill & payment information.

VA Main Office The toll free number to your state office is: 800-827-1000
VA Regional Processing Office is: 888-442-4551
Email at:

For Enrollment details or training guidance, please contact us at